solipsistic NATION No. 134: Beats Per Minute
One of the challenges producing solipsistic NATION is balancing the music I feature on the show with the interviews. solipsistic NATION is all about the music and the interviews are used to enhance the show so I try and keep the interviews to a minimum. Too much talk detracts from the mix. But on today’s show I’m going to toss that rule out the window and focus on the interviews because my guests have a lot of interesting things to say!
First, we’ll talk with Gary Bredow, the director of High Tech Soul, a documentary about Detroit techno. High Tech Soul is the first documentary to tackle the deep roots of techno music alongside the cultural history of it’s Detroit birthplace. High Tech Soul features interview with legends such as Juan Atkins, Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson.
High Tech Soul is distributed by Plexifilm, who produce original films, release films theatrically, and produce, distribute and markets DVDs. Plexifilm is generously giving away one copy of High Tech Soul on today’s show. Send me an email at email@example.com and you could win a DVD of High Tech Soul!
The hero of the story is Roxy, a young DJ in New York City who spins in dark clubs and small bars with dreams of making it big. As Roxy becomes more and more successful she finds she has to make a choice: should she follow the music she loves or the love of her life?
Paul has pushed the envelope of what a graphic novel can be by including “liner notes” in BPM and links to iTunes iMixes to complement the story.
Paul is giving away a signed copy of BPM on this week’s show. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and it could be yours!
Finally, we’ll talk with Terrance Dean, the author of Hiding in Hip Hop, about what it’s like to be a gay man in hip hop culture and the entertainment industry. Terrance worked his way up for more than ten years in the entertainment industry from an intern to an executive, and has lived the life of glitz and bling along with Hollywood and the Hip Hop’s elite. Full of startling anecdotes and incredible true stories, Hiding in Hip Hop is not a tell-all book but an honest look at stardom and sexuality.
If you would like a copy of Terrance Dean’s Hiding in Hip Hop, shoot me an email at email@example.com and you could be a lucky winner of his autobiography!
- K-HAND “Security” [FREE DOWNLOAD]
- K-HAND “Mystery” [FREE DOWNLOAD]
- Interview with Gary Bredow, director of the High Tech Soul documentary
- K-HAND aka Messenger “Wanderer (Ritzi Lee Remix)” [FREE DOWNLOAD]
- K-HAND “Wanderer (Original Mix)”
- Focus3d “Inclusive Mindset (DJ Aura Minimal Techno Mix)”
- Interview with Paul Sizer, author and illustrator of the BPM graphic novel
- Phenomen “Made In Wishland (Zambino Tech House Dub)”
- Dubacid “What Happens After (1394-4212 Acid House Dub)”
- Relate4ever “Open Minded (Platona Deep Tech House Mix)”
- Onelord “Sharing Cooperation (John Dare & Oscar Gonzalez Minimal Techno Mix)”
- Interview with Terrance Dean, author of Hiding in Hip Hop
- Ability “Sharing Transparently (Kevin Call aka DJ Nojz Techno Mix)”
- Because “Sharing Cooperation (Charly Shawllporn Minimal Mix)”
- Balanced “Universal Interpretation (Danny Lilwall Tech House Mix)”
1:14:32 | 68.34 MB